Peripheral neuropathy is the most common type of peripheral neuropathy. Diabetic neuropathy accounts for 60% of peripheral neuropathy. Diabetic neuropathy is caused by uncontrolled blood sugar and damaged nerves from elevated blood sugar of a long period of time.
Symptoms of Diabetic Neuropathy
- Tingling, Burning Prickling (paresthesia)
- Numbness and pain in the feet and legs
- Weakness pf muscles of the legs and feet
- Sharp pains or cramps
- Extreme sensitivity to touch
- Insensitivity to pain ot temperature changes
What Causes Peripheral Neuropathy
There are many causes of peripheral neuropathy with diabetes being the most common and accounting for 60% of all peripheral neuropathy.
Causes for Peripheral Neuropathy are:
- Kidney disease
- Autoimmune disease
- Infectious disease
- Nutrient deficiency
Treatment aims to slow progression, reduce pain and prevent complications.
Treatment For Diabetic Neuropathy
Diabetic neuropathy is diagnosed by:
- Performing a physical exam and evaluating your symptoms and medical history
- Blood tests to evaluate your blood Hemoglobin A1C value
- Nerve biopsy
- Nerve Conduction Velocity (NCV) testing
- Electromyography ( EMG)
Treatment aims to slow progressions, reduce pain and prevent complications.
Treatments For Diabetic Neuropathy Include:
- Medications including Tricyclic Antidepressants (amitriptyline, nortriptyline (Pamelor) Anticonvulsants (Gabapentin (Neurontin), Pregabalin (Lyrica)), Cymbalta (duloxetine)
- Laser treatments for diabetic neuropathy (MLS laser therapy)
- B vitamins: including B1, B6, B 12 often used in a B complex (Pyridoxine)
- Better blood sugar control with A1C below 7
Treating Neuropathy With MLS Laser Therapy
MLS Laser can effectively treat neuropathy for many patients.
Neuropathy Treatment in Parma and Rocky River, Ohio
Ripepi Foot & Ankle Clinics located in Parma and Rocky River, OH are experts in neuropathy treatment. Our podiatry office located in Parma and Rocky Rover, OH offer the latest treatments for diabetic and peripheral neuropathy. Fill out a form on our website to make an appointment and learn how you can treat your neuropathy safely and effectively.